Steve has facilitated conflict in a variety of settings, including:
• In schools where racial and religious tension has escalated, sometimes to violence – in the USA and in Northern Ireland
• Between long time Americans and immigrants
• Between ethnic Albanians and ethnic Serbians in Kosovo
• In work places in the United States and in Europe
Reducing Bullying and Harassment in Schools
• Facilitating workshops with faculty and staff
• Facilitating workshops with students
• Facilitating workshops for high school girls and boys to reduce sexual harassment in schools and sexual assault outside of school.
Increasing Trust Between Police Officers and Community Members
• Police and Youth
Steve facilitates dialogues between officers and youth of color. He has done similar work in Northern Ireland between police and Catholic youth and also with Protestant youth.
• Counter Terrorism Police
Steve developed and implemented a curriculum for European counter terrorism officers to increase trust & effectiveness within communities while at the same time complying with human rights standards. He conducted a multi-day training to prepare counter terrorism officers and human rights activists to co-lead workshops for police across Europe.
• Police Working with Roma Communities
Steve developed and implemented a curriculum for European police who work in Roma Communities. The curriculum provides officers with strategies for working effectively with Roma people and at the same time complying with human rights standards. Steve conducted a multi-day training to prepare officers and human rights advocates to co-lead workshops for police across Europe.
Training of Trainers Multi-Day Programs
Steve believes it is important to provide schools, police departments, non-profit organizations and communities with the capacity to continue prevention strategies. Steve prepares people to lead workshops to reduce bias, harassment and bullying and also to facilitate conflict resolution dialogues.
In all of his work Steve begins by assessing the level of conflict, tension and bias in schools, workplaces and communities through focus groups. Steve’s experience is that each community, workplace and school has its own distinct issues. Participants in workshops and dialogues hear examples of issues in their own schools, workplaces and communities.
Steve’s TEDx Talks: